JUNE 26, 2013
Health inequalities in the new EU member states and candidate countries.
Equity of Access to Quality Healthcare
VENUE: European Parliament; Rue Wiertz 60, 1047, City of Brussels
ROOM: József Antall Building 6Q1
11:30 – 12:30 REGISTRATION/ BUFFET LUNCH
12:30 – 12:40 Welcome Remarks
- Dr. Andrey Kovatchev, MEP; European Parliament
- Mr. Tomasz Szelagowski, FPP
SESSION 1: DATA
This session discusses the First Conference on Health Inequalities in the New EU Member States which took place in Sofia, Bulgaria, on the 20–21 September and the related extensive survey among patients’ organizations in the new EU Member States and candidate countries. The session also includes case studies on access to quality healthcare in hepatitis and oncology.
Moderator: Mrs. Nicola Bedlington, European Patients’ Forum (EPF), Belgium
12:40 – 12:50 “Outcomes of the First Conference on Health Inequalities in the new EU Member States”
- Dr. Stanimir Hasardzhiev, National Patients’ Organization (NPO), Bulgaria
12:50 – 13:00 “Access to healthcare: results of survey amongst patients’ organizations in the new EU Member States and candidate countries”
- Ms. Emily Peasgood, INCITE, UK
13:00 – 13:10 “Access to quality healthcare of hepatitis patients: case study”
- Mr. Achim Kautz, Policy Director, The European Liver Patients’ Association (ELPA)
13:10 – 13:20 “Access to quality healthcare of oncology patients: case study”
- Mr. Erik Briers, Secretary, Europa Uomo (European Prostate Cancer Coalition)
SESSION 2: POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS
This session explores the ways to create equity access to treatment and care in the EU Member States. Panelists will share their insights on the possible solutions to expanding access to quality healthcare throughout Europe.
- Moderator: Dr. Andrey Kovatchev, MEP
13:20 – 13:30 “Collaboration and best practice sharing between the EU Member States”
- Ms. Dessislava Dimitrova, Chair of the Standing Committee of the Regional Committee, WHO
13:30 – 13:50 “Sustainable pricing system and how to expand access to medicines in Europe?”
- Mr. Johan De Cock, General Administrator at National Institute of Health & Disability Insurance (RIZIV), Belgium
13:50 – 14:00 “What does the EU do to reduce health inequalities in the new EU Member States”
- Ms. Nathalie Chaze, Head of Unit, DG SANCO, European Commission
14:00 – 14:30 DISCUSSION PANEL
The discussion shall highlight some key objectives and approaches (EP resolution, EC initiative, European partnership for equity of access to healthcare) to help shaping EU policies 2020, in particular with regard to restoring equity and expanding access to quality healthcare for citizens in the EU Member States and candidate countries.
- Moderator: Mr. Nikos Dedes, “Positive Voice”, Greece
14:30 – 14:40 WRAP UP OF THE CONFERENCE